Monday, April 15, 2013

Miscellaneous Design Wall Stuff

First up, I sewed the label to the back of my QOV.
Then I made the presentation case for my QOV (I had almost forgotten that I needed to make one!) I didn't have enough yardage for the body, so I just HAD to stop at the quilt shop the other day on my way home from work. I ended up buying all three of the fabrics for the case, plus a few fat quarters of other patriotic fabric for my new hexagon quilt. The blue star fabric that makes up the body of the case looks like denim in real life ~ very fun.
Sunday, I got some stitching done on my first embroidery block for my new hexie quilt. You know how much I love Carole Samples' book, Treasury of Crazy Quilt Stitches, for embellishing the seams of my crazy quilt blocks! But in the back of that book, she has several pages of motifs that could be used in the center of crazy patches. This waving flag was one of her designs. I traced all of the flag-pole, but I won't need it to be so long for the 2" hexagon that I'm using, so I didn't stitch all the way to the bottom.
 
Thursday after work, I ordered some hexagon paper templates from Paper Pieces. I was very surprised to get them in the mail on Saturday! They seem like a good quality paper. I haven't had time to baste any of my fabrics to them yet, so I can't show you any pictures of that.
 
Judy has more design walls up.
 
Happy stitching!

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

Great job on the label, pillowcase and your embroidered flag.
I've become a "FOLLOWER" of your blog!!

Julie Kaye from KS said...

Love how the pillow case turned out. Your embroidery work is very nice. It's something I would like to learn.

Sue Daurio said...

Love the label and the pillow case. Can't wait to see the hexie project :)

Kevin the Quilter said...

Cool! Aren't those pillow cases fun to make? I have been making several for a donation drive we are having here in Missouri for QOV.

Rhonda R. said...

The pillowcase will made a wonderful presentation case for your QOV. I love the flag embroidery. My sewing group was was talking about how much they like that book, too. It's a classic.