Monday, March 18, 2013

Starting Fibonacci March Border

I think I've decided what I'm going to do for my March border of my Fibonacci Challenge.  The rules for this month include:
1. Use some of the challenge fabric.
2. Incorporate strip-pieced 4-patches or 9-patches. They can be even or uneven 4/9-patches, and they can be set straight or on point.
3. Use a new fabric.
4. Border should finish at 8".

After thinking about different possibilities over the past week, I've decided to make 4" red 4-patches, alternating with 4" green squares. Over this background, I will machine-applique stars using my different creams and golds, including the challenge fabric. The stars will be assorted sizes.

I wasn't planning on doing applique on this quilt, but this just feels "right" for this border. I will be continuing the star motif that's in the center block and in the second border. Since I'm appliquing these stars, I can scatter them randomly to create some movement.
Since some of my reds are getting depleted, I pulled a few more red fabrics from my stash. This one is actually a marbled red, but it shows up solid in this closeup. It feels so good to be using up fabric that's 17 years old. LOL
Here are some of the red 4-patches that I've made so far. The fabric on the lower left of the left 4-patch is the marble fabric from the first photo.

See more quilt projects at Judy's Patchwork Times.

Happy stitching!

6 comments:

Rhonda said...

What a great start and using fabric from your stash.....priceless!!

Bonnie said...

I love red... I use it way sooooo much I'm always out of it. Your blocks look great...

Chris said...

This sounds like such an interesting challenge. What fun!

Kevin the Quilter said...

Cool! Can't wait to see the end result as the border! 1996 CANNOT have been 17 years ago........REALLY?

Dee said...

I'm really intrigued! The reds are so vibrant! Can't wait to see your vision in fabric!

Lori said...

Teenage reds! Oh dear--I hope they aren't having hormone moments!