Whenever we go to the Farm, I have lots of time for hand sewing and reading; our trip over Christmas was no exception. Besides finishing my November and December CQJP blocks, I finished up one of the redwork blocks for my "Winter Wonderland" quilt, a Work In Progress (WIP). This block is called "Snowball Fight". I'm a bit frustrated with the creases in the fabric. I have pressed it and steamed it and pressed it and steamed it and I thought having it in the embroidery hoop would help, but it's still there. Hopefully quilting it will get rid of some of that?
Since I haven't shown any other parts of this quilt, here's some background: Two years ago, I saw a quilt called “Winter Wonderland” hanging up at one of my local quilt shops. (Have I ever told you that I’m lucky enough to have 6 awesome quilt shops that are between 5 and 45 minutes away from my house?) It’s a redwork pattern by Crab*apple Hill. Since I love red and I love embroidery, I wanted to try it, with its fun snowmen. This is a great project to take when we travel. I only need to bring the block, one skein of red embroidery floss, and my needle, scissors, and hoop. (No, I do not have any affiliation with the Crab*apple Hill company.)
Since I know the embroidery will take me awhile, I slowly make one or two of the pieced blocks in between other projects.
Here are the blocks I’ve finished so far:
Toboggan RideSnowflake verse
Skier
Snowman Family (taken on a different day...bad lighting)
The three blocks above will finish to 6 inch squares.
These two blocks will be 9 inches finished.
This is a 12 inch block (finished size).
Here's another 12 inch block (finished).
You've seen some of these same fabrics in my Christmas "Easy Street" mystery quilt! I naturally went overboard in buying fabrics for this "Winter Wonderland," so I had plenty to choose from for "Easy Street."
I'm linking up to Judy's "Design Wall Monday."
Happy
stitching!




10 comments:
I found your link from Judy's blog and scrolled down to see you were doing easy street. Love all your reds and greens. Can't wait to see it all put together. I have the snowmen pattern also. Seeing yours made me think of it, so when easy street if put together,I'll pull that out and make some progress on that.
Love the hand embroidery work and your sewn blocks. 2013 is going to be a great year to sew!!
Your embroideries are so cute. Have you tried Best Press to get out the creases?
Thanks for your comments.
Kris, I've never heard of Best Press. I'll have to look for that. Thanks for the suggestion.
I have my Winter Wonderland done in blue. It still needs to be quilted. Hopefully can get it done for our quilt show this year. Yours looks great!
Love your redwork. I do a lot of embroidery, crosstitch and patchwork and havebeen frustated by the creases in nearly every kind of fabric. Light bulb moment when I remembered Mom and Grandma used diluted white vinegar on ironing day to take out wrinkles. I spray the wrong side of my projects with a solution 1 to 4 ratio vinegar/water and iron onto a clean light colored bath towel.MaryJane
Love your embroidery blocks. They look like something I could except when I go anywhere, I am the one driving or doing something. 😃
I just love that pattern. I haven't started it yet, I still have 2 other Crabapple Hill winter tops to quilt. It will be really pretty when you get it done. I like the plan of making some of the blocks as you go along. I never thought of that but maybe I'll give it a try when I start that one.
Love your redwork snowmen!! I wish I could do handwork while traveling, but looking down makes me too dizzy. I've been trying out some machine embroidery redwork this month and love the look.
I've seen this pattern done in green and in blue, but not red. It's going to be a stunning quilt when it's finished.
The best thing I've found for getting out wrinkles is to use a spray bottle and dampen the fabric before I press with a dry iron. It doesn't work on all fabrics, but I've good luck with that approach on most fabrics.
Post a Comment