I'm happy to tell you that I've finished my Shaded 4-patches for clue #3 of Easy Street. I'm still behind on my first two steps, but I've made some more progress this week; more on that in a bit.
I pulled out 13 different reds from my stash to use in place of Bonnie's turquoise. I have more red fabric than these, but some had too much white, some were too dark, and some I just plain didn't like anymore (what possessed me to buy that one?).
I don't think that I've mentioned before that I'm not doing the full quilt as Bonnie Hunter has designed it. Hers will finish at 84 X 84 (or 96 X 96 with the optional border). I want to make this a lap quilt, so that's too big. Her suggestion was to make half the blocks if you want a smaller quilt, but that sounds too small to me. So I'm making 75% of the blocks. I think that will be a better size for my purposes, but I can always make more if I need to.
I made 48 Shaded 4-patches. I absolutely LOVE how the colors in the block look together. Of course, add red to anything and I'll probably love it :)
After making my first flying geese block last week, I decided to use the same background fabric for both of the "wing" triangles in each block. I did the same for these blocks.
I apologize for the quality of these photos. It was already getting dark outside when I got home from work today, so I couldn't use natural sunlight for the pictures.
Progress Report
Clue #1, 4-patches: 64 out of 144 completed
I'm using these as my leaders/enders, so I'm slowly accumulating a big pile of these.
Clue #2, Flying Geese: 14 out of 96 completed
I will be using different fabrics for the "wings," but I've only had time to use the green polka-dots. I'm following Bonnie's suggestion: if you're not done with the current step on Friday, stop that and do the new step. That way you've at least started each step and you know what's going on. I'm hoping to get at least a few more flying geese made this week before Friday.
Clue #3, Shaded 4-patches: 48 out of 48 completed
I'm linking up to Quiltville's Easy Street and Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times.
Happy stitching!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 comments:
Nice colors, you will soon be caught up.
I completely agree with you about red! Looks great - I like your color choices all around!
I'm glad I'm not the only one still working on parts 1 & 2. My geese are stitched and just need the dogears trimmed. Your colors look great! I was too chicken to pick different colors. haha
Anxious to see how your Easy Street turns out. You know if you cut the fabric small enough and you are going for scrappy...even the ugly fabrics will disappear. I wish I'd gone the half or three quarters size. Guess I could always start with Step 4 and use my extras from the first three steps on the back. I like the experience not all the big quilts! Hurts my wallet to have them quilted....=^.^= Sandi
Hi Jill
I too am using all christmas fabrics and have used the reds for Bonnies blues. My gold was for bonnies purple and I have blue for the gray. I am sticking with the greens same as Bonnie except mine will be Christmas
greens. Cant wait to see them all done. yours and mine will probably look alot alike with the Christmas theme.l so much fun.
Yes, I am trying to discipline myself to use those 'uglies'. In a scrap quilt they will blend, and act like a chorus line, allowing your favourites stars to shine.
I like your color choices. My original plan was also to make a smaller quilt, but I enjoyed making the different units so much that I have made the required amount so far :)) So I guess I'll make the large version...
Your patches look fantastic. You'll catch up in no time. Clue 4 is nearly here – woo hoo!
Post a Comment